Curry Coconut Chickpea
Yield: 4-5 servings
Time: 20 minutes
This chickpea recipe is one of my favourite vegetarian dishes. You won’t miss meat I promise.
This rich and creamy dish is packed with all the essential nutrients you need and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil to sauté
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (400ml) can coconut milk
- ½ cup of water
- 1 (16oz). can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk scallion
- 1 sprig thyme
- salt & ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp pimento powder
- 1 handful spinach (optional
- 1 tsp. cornstarch mix in water (to thicken)
- In a medium sauce pot with coconut oil over medium heat, sautee together onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, and pepper until translucent.
- Add curry powder, cinnamon powder, and tomato paste. Stir to combine then add coconut milk, water and chickpeas. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reduce flame and season with remaining ingredients. Thicken with cornstarch if desired and allow to simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve with plain rice or in a wrap.